Thursday, July 15, 2010

Surat nu Mirchi is also Hot ;)

I was in Surat for the past few days and heard some radio briefly. Besides realising that most of the stations are playing retro in this small (yet popular) city... I came across something that I have been wanting to introduce on-air since many years. Some radio-stations did try it on Saturday nights but pulled back this kind of programming, for what I understand to be lack of funds or backing or talent or even time.

It was 8 in the morning and Mirchi was playing 'Gaano ki Ladi' which was basically songs mixed back to back (like a DJ would mix them), except that these were not club / dance numbers. I know its a simple concept. But once again, here comes the emphasis... in radio.. keep it simple - but do it well.
It was done so well that even in my half-dead state (I hadn't sleep the whole night), I was sure I was going to get to my computer somehow and blog about it.
The songs were moving seamlessly into each other, but more importantly they did not bore you. I mean that the genres moved gently from one to another...where I heard Namak from Omkara and Main hoon na too. The station imaging was non-intrusive and yet clear.

Mirchi is not using this programming in Mumbai currently, but I am sure wherever its being tried, the TSLs should touch the roof. My compliments to whoever is doing the production on this one and I know what a pain this must be. But its worth it. I am also sure it must be a nightmare for the music managers.. how are you guys keeping track of whats playing out?! (you know what I mean RCS bhakts ;)

In any case, time to sleep. Thanks for giving my day a radio-happy morning!