Monday, May 3, 2010

Hi.. you talk to me!

My relatives used to be ever-so-curious about my job earlier (when I was a jock)and one of the questions thrown at me was .. "So you just talk to the wall?" :)

Which is in its literal sense quite true. A jock basically is talking to a wall, sitting in a room, all by himself. But the point is - someone out there is listening to him. And that is where the romance is, right?

I basically thought about this because I have been traveling quite a bit within the city and got an opportunity to be a typical Mumbaikar and looked out for entertainment on the go - via the radio. I came to face a horrifying fact about our drive-time jocks. They just don't care about who's listening to them!
It seems like everyone is busy getting together a show (much like a circus show)) and trying hard to make a great show and then just presenting the show! That is the KRA of a jock, no doubt. But is that really what makes you a jock?

It's saddening to note that you no more care about me. (the listener) Everyone is just busy doing their own thing! It's so obvious that you are just doing a job! Its not only saddening for the listener then, but even for the jock.

The first golden rule of radio I had learnt was - talk to ONE person. That I guess people have stopped teaching now... but I will extend it for you and say - Talk to SOMEONE atleast! Don't just throw your quick wits up in the 'Air' for us to catch! And well, don't even get me started on the wits...

I just thought I'd let it out... I am the reason you are on-air. Try not to ignore me please.