Thursday, June 26, 2014

Getting some air - on-air

Listening to Purani Jeans on Radio Mirchi via gaana.com has been a happy habit I am developing while working. What I do like the most about it is the absence of radio jockeys. There are shows with jocks as well and frankly I switch off when those begin. Nothing wrong with the jocks -but love listening to my songs back to back with no bak-bak. Not to mention - No ADS!

I have been wondering how right or wrong that is though. I have been an advocate of the 'human touch' on-air. It is the main reason why people still tune in regularly and not their ipods / USB drive full of songs. I mean.. among other things:
- Latest songs (which are available on youtube, but then you have to go online, click on it = effort)
- Surprise element - which is such a unique feature. The listener does not know which song will follow which one and when you play song that keeps him / her happy one after another - they stay tuned. These happy surprises are difficult to come by even if you put your device on 'shuffle'.
- Then there is the pre-produced content - which adds humour or information to your day - on the go.

But then I believe that all this is tied together by the radio personality. Dan O Day says that it is the personality's job to keep the listener on the station once they are tuned in. For example, listening to the same song over and over again can get more and more interesting every time - if the RJ has the talent to make it sound so...Also, I strongly believe that an RJ has to ADD VALUE to the listener's life.

However, with our FM stations getting crowded with pre-produced capsules,ads and ineffective jock talk - I am finding it very difficult to back my own argument. Otherwise - we are good. gaana.com is a-okay.